condenCITY_86 commute









About three years ago, I posted sequential images and descriptive words relating to my daily commute in San Francisco. In actuality, I had 5 years prior to that, done the same thing in Seoul back in 2001, tracing my daily route to work on cold winter mornings. Now, almost ten years ago to the day, I reflect upon my daily commutes that I made from Anguk-dong to Yeoksam-dong in Seoul. The original commute images were shot in 35 mm slide film that has since been scanned to digital format as you see here now. Even in 2001, Seoul in its tattered youth and engineered front, appears design-less; awkward in adolescence as a growing and changing city. In that respect, not much has changed to this day.

'Commute' has always had significance in my daily routines. On foot or via public transit, my routes have shifted by mood or of necessary expediency. Always varying, even in the slightest of deviation or shifts in step. Our awareness is heightened in tactile contact. Ground against foot, Feet on moving platforms; the camera at one's side, as a mechanism for recording time and distance.  

Eyes open and mind wandering, wondering.







No comments: